Group Manager: Overview
What it does
There are three ways to manage groups: Group Manager, Adhoc Groups and Section Info.
- The Group Manager tool allows you to create adhoc groups and manage their membership.
- Adhoc Groups is a feature in Site Info that offers similar functionality.
- Section Info is the appropriate tool for creating sections in a course site and managing enrollment.
Ad hoc groups are a useful way to manage the flow of information to subsets
of site participants. You can use them to target content (such as messages,
resources or forum topics) at a particular group.
Things to Consider
- Only site owners and participants with full administrator rights will have permission
to use this tool. The Group Manager link in the left menu will not be visible
to other site members.
- Unlike Section Info, site members cannot sign up for adhoc groups, nor
may they view or change which groups they are in.
- You may create as many adhoc groups as you require and assign any number
of participants to each. Site members may belong to multiple adhoc groups.